Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kampai!

Where have I been? I was on a roll there for a while, then things got a little busy. I got sidetracked. I've been scrambling for the last couple of weeks, preparing for an interview. This interview has been very important to me, more than any other interview I've had I think. I can't remember ever wearing a suit to any other interview. I can't recall studying so much for an interview either. The ones I've been to have been fairly mundane formalities, resulting in equally mundane employment. This Saturday was different, and it's not over yet.

I've applied to the JET Program, a teaching gig in Japan. I've been throwing this idea around for a couple of years now, half heartedly. This year I'd finally had enough of the school system politics and decided to pull a "crazy Ivan" and put in my application. This Saturday was phase 3 I believe, of the process. The interview. I've been studying Japanese politics, leaders, history, culture, artists, everything I could think of that could come up in an interview. Saturday I was happily cheated. They really didn't ask anything about any of that. Mostly they asked about how I would use my coaching in Japan, had me answer some questions in Japanese, and asked where I would like to go if I got a job. They were pleasant enough, no scary interview scene. I went in ready, not nervous, and left feeling pretty good. Only after I sat down in my truck did I start to feel skeptical. It felt too good to be true. I didn't get to speak about any of the stuff that I studied. Didn't get to tell any meaningful stories from my childhood. I think I even told them that I would be OK living in the radioactive tsunami destruction of northeast Japan.

Phase 4 comes in April, thats right, April. They will notify us then if we've got the job or not. Until then, I'm gonna live it up at the office and think positive. Gambatteimasu!

No comments: