Monday, April 30, 2012

Hijacked Heroes

A while back I dumped Action Comics from my pull list. I've never really been a Superman fan anyway; he's too clean cut,  goody goody for my tastes. With the new start up at DC, and Grant Morrison writing the series, I figured I would try it. The first couple issues were alright, but it quickly faded and lost direction. I dropped it after #5 I think. Today I saw a preview for #9 and was let down. For whatever reason, Action Comics is going to explore an alternate universe, one where Superman is black.

I don't get this, I never have. Why does this make any sense? I have trouble enough with ret-con, and restarts that change a hero's origins or backstory, but to completely change who that hero is, just for the sake of pandering to political correctness, I believe is wrong. It's cheap. It's a cop out. I think its a quick and lazy way to piggy back off of the success of an established book just to promote a philosophy.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not against good, African American characters, but this sort of hijacking of already popular heroes is lame. It's like saying that black characters aren't good enough on their own, they need the name recognition for people to actually like them. I was only casually into comics until Todd McFarlane's Spawn came out in the 90s. I bounced around and read random books until then. That was my first regular "pull". It didn't seem contrived at all. Al Simmons was a strong character, with his own story, that has lasted. He might not be as popular now, but there was a big rush when Spawn came out. There have been plenty of other characters also, Luke Cage, Storm, Bishop, and Black Panther to name a few. These were all independently created, and successful characters on their own. They didn't need to be "plugged in" to another character's story.

Miles Morales, the new Ultimate Spiderman, has become wildly popular. I haven't read any of the series, mainly because I don't usually read Spiderman, but once they put out a TPB, I will probably get it. But, I still think using Spiderman to create a second Spiderman is a cheezy attempt to sell double the books. At this point there are plenty of diverse writers and artists who should be jumping at the chance to create a new, original character. The major publishers are definitely willing to support this, someone just needs to create it. Leave Superman alone. He is SOOO completely white stereotyped in the first place that plugging in a different ethnicity would basically make him a completely different character anyway. The interest is there. The support is there. Someone get busy and start a new book, its time!

3 comments:

Omega Agent1 said...

And what philosophy is that? The little stunt is about the bottom line. A dollar, mine yours whoever will pay for it.

I think it is cheap, weak and they are piggy backing off of an established fan base. But why do they have 50 or 60 different Superman and Batman books anyway? Thats where they make the most money.

So why not throw in one from an alternate universe, one thats Black, Brown and Asian. People are going to just keep on buying What WE (the establishment)sell them. That's who we market and promote and thats who were going to give you in doses. UNTIL YOU LOVE IT.

Your a member of my site, Why havn't the Bronze Tiger an original character gotten a title shot? A real one, I mean a big name artist and writer, Cartoon appearances a battery of action figures? like I said, the money is first but the bigger picture is genocide. Now plug any color on to that.

Lord Thanatos said...

HA! I knew after I wrote the post that I had forgotten someone. The Bronze Tiger, another independent African American character with his own unique backstory. Honestly, I think BT would be an interesting read on his own.

I just dont see why publishers cant create diverse characters that stand on their own. I think using established characters is a crutch. It's the same with the movie industry. There have been so many remakes lately, can't they write an original script? It just seems like an easy out.

Omega Agent1 said...

It is an easy out. And it makes me sick. That's why I try not to support it with my money.

When a new book comes out and I read the name of the big time writer I just laugh or shake my head in disgust. Grant Morrison returns to Batman, really? Brian Azzarello does Man of Steel, what a challenge, Brad Meltzer JLA, so what.

Then we champion these guys and the characters when theyre already on top. They are already household names; and Shang chi can't even make a lunch box.

The new Avengers movie is Sheild heavy right? Why don't we see Fury streaking and hovering around in a sheild flying car? Iron man got his armor and a car.

To make this long story short. They plug the minority into the image of the white character to////////////////////////////////////////////// end of transmission.