Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Go to Ohi cho

So, I still haven't gotten "official" notice of where I might be placed in Japan, but unofficially, it will be a small coastal town called Ohi-cho. I know this because I saw my name being thrown around on the forums by the teacher that is in the position now. She's let me know all kinds of stuff about my possible future home and so far, it sounds great.

As I said earlier, I wanted something near the ocean. I've never lived near the ocean, I've always been landlocked, but I imagine it being relaxing. Ohi is located on the northwest coast of Japan in the Japan Sea. That being said, it is sheltered by a few peninsulas so I am imagining small waves.

I'm not too far from a little town named Obama, which means "little beach". They became slightly famous during the last election and have since faded, just like their American counterpart. One of the better things about Ohi is that it is not too far from places like Kyoto and Osaka. I'm pretty happy about it, the exact type of place I had hoped for.

I've gotten a lot of info about my placement from my predecessor. She says there is no downside, I'll get to that in a second. She teaches kindergarten through junior high, with a weekly night class thrown in. Previously she had said that I would get all breaks "off", compared to other teachers who had to go in during spring, winter, and summer breaks. She took that back, but said that I could build up enough comp time to make up for it. The schools are spread out, so a car is necessary. I was hoping to do without, but maybe I can pick up a nice compact cheap. She says the apartment is big, Japanese standards big of course, but best of all, FREE. No rent. The Board of Education foots the bill. I even get a small stipend just for living in the town. $$$ is good.

All sounds great. How is this possible? Well, nothing is perfect. The dark secret of Ohi's financial generosity is KEPCO Reactor #3 & #4 located on a peninsula north of the town of Ohi. The small fishing town reaps the benefits of hosting a nuclear powerplant within its borders. Schools have AC and heat, compared to most other places that do without. Residents receive a kickback for living within the shadow of the reactors. What do I think of this? Well, I don't think it bothers me. One, they all got turned off this year. Ohi may start theirs up, but since last year's earthquake, I think they have gone over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure it's safety first. Plus, I don't think lightning will strike twice.

Overall, it sounds like a great placement. I'm looking forward to hopping on a fishing boat and catching my dinner. The countdown has begun.

5 comments:

o_heath said...

Welcome neighbor!
I am your neighbor in Maizuru, Kyoto. Higashi Maizuru Sta. is the last/first stop on the JR Obama line.

Lord Thanatos said...

Ok, howdy. Are you there now? Or are you going this summer? I'm still fumbling around with maps, so I'll have to look up Maizuru.

o_heath said...

Yeah I currently live in Maizuru.

Lord Thanatos said...

Very cool. Maybe I could get your email, or I could give you mine, and pick your brain?

o_heath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.