Saturday, January 14, 2012

Batwoman Cinco


Batwoman is not a book that I would normally pick up. First, it's a female superhero book. I've never been a fan. Usually, female superheroes have been created to widen the audience and attract some female readers (is this true?). Second, these superheroes, Batwoman, Batgirl, Supergirl, etc, end up being second rate when compared to their more established characters. (Marvel seems a little different. Their female characters are often part of a "team", so they seem to have equal footing with the rest of the universe) So, when DC launced the New 52, Batwoman wasn't on my list, wasn't gonna be on my list, wasn't gonna waste my time. What a mistake.

Around the second month of the new launch, I had kept reading about how great this book was. The art was amazing, the story was incredible. Being an art teacher, I am easily swayed by a beautiful book. I really appreciate the artwork and talent that these guys have. So, one week, with a little extra cash, I picked up my regular books, and grabbed issue #3, just to check it out. I'm so glad I did. After I read it, I went back the next week and picked up #1 and #2, then put it on my subscription list. Now, that being said, I WAS shocked a little by one or two things.

Now, before all of the hardcore comic geeks blast me for not knowing every minute detail of every character of every book, let me just say that I am a casual reader/collector. My interest in comics goes way back to my childhood when my older cousin dumped a bunch of old books on me. I only have one of those books left, Conan #1, but I remember reading those things over and over. I even used them for silly putty reprinting purposes. My point is, I have a WIDE variety of interests, I always have. I don't get into one thing deeply. I like a lot of different things, comics being one of them. My collection is helter skelter. A little of this, a little of that. Because of that, I don't have the mental capacity to store every detail, stat, or trivial bit of info that some people do. Thats ok with me. I enjoy enjoying a lot of things.

Anyway, Kate Kane, Batwoman, is a lesbian. WHAT!! As I read the first issue and the scenes built, my gay-dar started going off. Pretty cool that Williams and Blackman can do that with their writing and visuals. I found myself engrossed in the story, the crime, the mystery, but bothered and distracted by these hints that something was up between Kate and Maggie Sawyer. I even remember asking my friend Dave if that was the case. I thought to myself, "why do they have to do this?". I didn't want to feel like it was a gimmick. I kept reading though, and realized that it's not. I decided to put my homophobia and male centrist views away for a little while as I read through the series.

I just read issue #5, the end of the first story arc, Hydrology. Batwoman defeats the child-stealing Weeping Woman, but fails to locate the missing kids. She also has her cover blown by the DEO, who recruit her to work for the government. The most amazing part of this issue is that their are 7, count them SEVEN double page spreads in this book. Williams art commands this book. His layouts flow easily across pages with no chance of getting lost. Any of his spreads would make amazing posters. It's easy just to thumb through the book without even reading it. The story is just as good. There were no "dead spots" in this story arc. All of the parts were integral to the story. Some people have complained that her identity was blown too easily, but I think it was obvious that was happening by the second book or so. I don't think she was meant to stay anonymous. This just opens the door to new storylines.

One bad thing about this book; 32 pages, only 20 of those story. The other 12 were filler, mostly covers of other DC books. The second half of this book felt like one giant promotion. I could do without that.

BONUS! Batman makes another appearance and is quietly pissed that Kate chose to join the DEO. I'm hoping that leads to tension later on.

DC is on the right track. They have some very solid, great books. A few duds of course, but the good ones are REALLY good. This book, has to be top 2 or 3. Read it.

2 comments:

Omega Agent1 said...

I havn't read the book but I like the whole set up of Batwoman, lesbian and all. I wonder though what do the general stories be about. I might have to give her a try.

Lord Thanatos said...

This first arc was just a jump start; setting the foundation. The DEO, and Director Bones will no doubt set her against Batman at some point, in their attempt to unmask "rogue" superheroes and bring them to heel. Batwoman, on the other hand, has hinted that she is joining the DEO only as a way to use their resources for her own purposes. How long she keeps her independence remains to be seen, but will create some tension in the Bat Family.