Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Knand Al Shalabi


Knand Al Shalabi is a side character I play in our bi monthly D&D game. He's a henchman really, I didn't roll him, but he's become a personal favorite and fun to play.

Knand has a great history. One of my main characters, Sadhu Hanuman, a monk, got greedy and picked one too many cards from the Deck of Many Things. Why not? Everyone else was getting great stuff. His last pick happened to be DONJON! Oooo, that sounds cool. It's not. Hanuman was instantly transported to a dank, musty cage, hanging high above a cavern lake. Getting a feel for his surroundings, Hanuman used his ability to speak with plants and connected with the phosphorescent moss covering his cage. After a brief conversation and a little sweet talking, Hanuman figured out that there was someone else in the cage next to him, apparently in the same situation. The two hit it off immediately and Hanuman used some amazing contortionist skills to escape his cage and release Knand from his imprisonment.

From there its been a love hate relationship. Knand is overweight, greasy, boisterous, and a bit clumsy. He completely blew the element of surprise once by falling out of a boat and alerting the demonic cultists, who later imprisoned the two of them. He's loyal though, and thankful for Hanuman rescuing him, and so has vowed to follow him to the ends of the realm to repay his debt.

I searched and searched for a mini to represent Knand. I finally found the "Thuggee Cultist" by Reaper Chronoscope. He's a little thin, but other than that, a perfect representation of Knand. The finished picture above is horrible, I know, but I tried keeping him subdued, dirty, and earthy. I modeled the base with a "sand dune" texture to keep with his cultural origins. I also added some static grass, just to add some interest. I think it looks ok, but it was a pain to attach. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out and can't wait to release his falafel fury on dungeons everywhere.

1 comment:

Omega Agent1 said...

This guy reminds me of the Alikir from Skyrim. Matter of fact, I'm headed to the XBox right now.