Friday, January 27, 2012

Fantasy Pulp Review

Andre Norton. When I first picked up one of her books from my junior high library, I thought she was a "he". I was shocked later to find out that Andre Norton, a woman, was writing some of my favorite sci-fi fantasy books. Shadow Hawk has always been one of my favorite books. I read it when I was in 6th or 7th grade and it's remained one of the most memorable books that I've ever read.

I opened this after I finished Lin Carter's "Jandar of Callisto". What a difference!!! Jandar was pure middle school opera. Very basic style, over the top stereotypes, and crazy adventure plot. Shadow Hawk is nothing like that. From the very beginning you get deep character development and completely engrossing environment. It still clocks in around 200 pages, but the level of writing is much more sophisticated.

The main character is Rahotep, son of the late viceroy of Southern Egypt. He is relegated to a backwater military post, serving as a captain of scouts on the Nubian border. The whole of Egypt has been overtaken by the mysterious Hyksos, who have overthrown the Pharaoh and taken control of the empire. Rahotep's brother, Unis, is the epitomy of the slimy entitled prodigal son. He quickly slides into his father's position, relishing the perks it brings. The squeeze is on for Rahotep to uphold his father's honor and begin his private rebellion against the Hyksos.

I love this book for a number of reasons. First, I read it around the time when King Tut's artifacts were making their debut tour of the United States. That was my "Egypt phase". I was dead set on becoming an archaeologist. This fit right in. Second, it was a unique setting. I can't name any other Egyptian historical fantasy books out there. It brought the crusty, ancient country to life. Lastly, it is so well written for the type of book it is. The minute you read the first page you're "into" the story. It's just as good now as it was the first time I read it. Go search your local used bookstore and grab a copy. Best of all, it's cheap!

No comments: